BVI Securities and Investment Business License – Dealing in Investments_Guideline_V1
BVI Securities and Investment Business License
Securities and investment business is regulated in BVI by the Securities and Investment Business Act (SIBA) 2010. SIBA regulates “investment business” in or from with the BVI and provides that no person may carry on “investment business” of any kind in or from within the BVI unless they are licensed by the BVI Financial Services Commission (“FSC”) to carry on such investment business.
The types of activity constituting investment business are broadly defined in Schedule 2 of SIBA as follows:
- dealing in investments;
- arranging deals in investments;
- managing investments;
- providing investment advice;
- providing custodial services with respect to investments;
- providing administrative services with respect to investments; and
- operating an investment exchange.
Categories and Sub-Categories of Investment Business License
The following are the categories:
Category 1: Dealing in Investments
- Sub-category A: Dealing as Agent
- Sub-category B: Dealing as Principal
Category 2: Arranging Deals in Investments
Category 3 Investment Management
- Sub-category A: Managing Segregated Portfolios (Excluding Mutual Funds)
- Sub-category B: Managing Mutual Funds
- Sub-category C: Managing Pension Schemes
- Sub-category D: Managing Insurance Products
- Sub-category E: Managing Other Types of Investment
Category 4: Investment Advice
- Sub-category A: Investment Advice (Excluding Mutual Funds)
- Sub-category B: Investment Advice (Mutual Funds)
Category 5: Custody of Investments
- Sub-category A: Custody of Investments (Excluding Mutual Funds)
- Sub-category B: Custody of Investments (Mutual Funds)
Category 6: Administration of Investments
- Sub-category A: Administration of Investments (Excluding Mutual Funds)
- Sub-category B: Administration of Investments (Mutual Funds)
Category 7: Operating an Investment Exchange
The entity making the application is a BVI company under the BVI Business Companies Act 2004.
Unless the licensee has a significant management presence in the BVI, it will be required to appoint a local “authorized representative”, which will be a BVI entity or individual certified by the FSC for this purpose.
A licensee shall not, without the prior written approval of the Commission:
The relevant licensee shall appoint and at all times have an auditor for the purposes of auditing its financial statements. The auditor must be:
A licensee shall at all times maintain such professional indemnity and other insurance as may be prescribed.
Minimum Capital Requirements
Where the Regulatory Code prescribes a minimum capital resource requirement with respect to a category or sub-category of license, a licensee holding a license in such category or sub-category shall ensure that at all times its capital resources are maintained in an amount not less than the prescribed minimum.
- The financial statements of a Licensee, signed by a director or trustee of a unit trust, must be submitted to the FSC within six months of the end of its financial year accompanied by:
- a director’s or trustee’s certificate in the approved form;
- an auditor’s report;
- a report on the affairs of the Licensee made in respect of the relevant financial year to the members or investors of the Licensee; and
- such other documents as may be prescribed from time to time.
- A Licensee must appoint and at all times have an authorised representative who shall be a person or entity resident in the BVI and certified by the FSC, unless the Licensee has a significant management presence in the BVI determined in accordance with the Regulatory Code, 2009 (the “Regulatory Code”).
- A Licensee must appoint and at all times have an auditor for the purpose of auditing its financial statements whose appointment has been approved by the FSC in writing prior to their appointment.
- A Licensee must keep records for at least five years (even after the cancellation or revocation of a Licensee’s licence) which: (i) are sufficient to show and explain its transactions; (ii) allow its financial position to be determined with reasonable accuracy at any time; (iii) enable it to prepare such financial statements and make such returns as it is required to make under SIBA and the Regulatory Code; and (iv) to enable its financial records to be audited in accordance with SIBA.
- A Licensee must ensure that client assets are identified or identifiable and appropriately segregated and accounted for and make arrangements for the proper protection of client assets.
- Licensees must at all times maintain their business in a financially sound condition by: (a) having assets; (b) providing for its liabilities; and (c) generally conducting its business, so as to be in a position to meet its liabilities as they fall due.
- Where the Regulatory Code prescribes a minimum capital resource requirement applicable to a category of licensee then a Licensee must ensure that at all times its capital resources are maintained in an amount not less than the prescribed minimum (or such other amount as may be specified by the FSC).
About Valsen Fiduciaries
Valsen Fiduciaries is a licensed independent global service provider of a broad range of fiduciary, administrative, legal, corporate secretarial and support services.
- Company formations and Administration
- Assistance with Bank Account opening
- Collective Investment Setup and Administration
- Intellectual Property Registrations and Maintenance.
- Trusts and Foundations setup and administration
- Online Payment Gateway Solutions
- Banking Licenses and PSP, E-Money, E- Wallet Licenses
- Yacht and aircraft registrations.
- Cryptocurrency Solutions (ICO, STO, Crypto Exchanges etc)
The Valsen Advantage
- We will advise you on the optimal legal structure for your requirements, size, expectations and circumstances. We have extensive knowledge of a wide range of securities dealer licenses in all major jurisdictions.
- Valsen will assist to complete every form for each process in the best way we know how (Based on our many years’ experience with various regulators and service providers across the world)
- We are very hands on in the post filing period checking with re regulator and service providers and updating you regularly. Any queries raised by the regulators and service providers during processing will be quickly synthesized by us and we shall craft the right responses to move the process forward fast.
- We have a full in-house compliance support for all compliance requirements with the regulator and service providers
- Tel: +248 4321018
- WhatsApp: +248 2525217
- Skype: vf-international.com
- Email: [email protected]