The Netherlands Antilles insurance sector is regulated by the Bank of Curaçao and Sint Maarten (central bank) under the Insurance Supervision National Ordinance 1990. See Law of Offshore and Offshore Legal and Tax Regimes for further details of the supervisory and licensing regime, and the taxation of offshore insurance companies.
The central bank distinguishes between domestic insurers (which may be life or non-life insurance comnanies) and international, ie offshore, insurers, who may be captive insurers or reinsurance companies. Foreign companies can qualify as local insurers but will be subject to local supervision on the same basis as a local company.
According to the Ordinance, an insurance company must be a locally-incorporated limited liability company (NV) with registered shares, or can be a mutual insurance company. The bank has power to grant exemption from this rule for branch offices.
The minimum authorised capitalisation of an insurance company is ANG 200,000 (at the time of writing) but in practice capitalisation will depend on the business plan as disclosed to the bank during the licensing process. The company must have a registered office in the Netherlands Antilles and must keep its records there; there must be a Managing Director (approved by the central bank) in charge of day-to-day operations.
As of the end of 2011, there were about 76 licensed insurance companies in the Netherlands Antilles, of which about 16 were international, mostly captive insurers.
Advantages of Curacao Insurance Broker Licence
- Tax advantage
- Profit benefits
- Increased control insurance program and risk management
- Improved negotiating position insurance position
Why Valsen Fiduciaries
- We will advise you on the optimal legal structure for your requirements, size, expectations and circumstances. We have extensive knowledge of a wide range of legal structures in all major jurisdictions. (Securities, Banking, Investment Management, Gaming and many more)
- Valsen will assist to complete every form for each process in the best way we know how (Based on our many years’ experience with various regulators and service providers across the world)
- Valsen will assist in preparation of winning business plans based on our superior understanding of regulator expectations and requirements
- We are very hands on in the post filing period checking with re regulator and service providers and updating you regularly. Any queries raised by the regulators and service providers during processing will be quickly synthesized by us and we shall craft the right responses to move the process forward fast.
- We can provide you with fit and proper directors in case you need. We have a wide network of qualified and experienced lawyers, chartered accountants, chartered financial analysts, wealth managers, FX experts, Investment advisors etc. of international pedigree.
- We have a full in-house compliance support for all compliance requirements with the regulator and service providers
- Through our extensive network, we provide sign up services with major service providers including but not limited to; Liquidity providers, technology providers, custodians, prime brokers, legal advisors, auditors, payment gateway providers among others.