Andorra Trade Mark Registration
Andorra Trademark Registration
In Andorra, the legal basis is the Trademark Act of May 11th.Trademark protection is obtained by registration. It can also be acquired by sufficient public recognition. A trademark application has to be filed before the Trademark Office (OMPA) by a local agent. A non-legalized Power of Attorney is sufficient. All applicants need a domestic registration.
Andorra Trade Mark Registration Key Features
- A trademark registration in Andorra is valid for 10 years and starts with registration date. The registration is renewable for periods of 10 years.
- The application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness and a search for prior trademarks.
- After registration, the trademark is published by the OMPA who publishes the “Gaseta” (CD-ROM).Duly noted, in Andorra, there are no (national) provisions for filing an opposition against a trademark registration.
- There are no provisions for filing an opposition against a trademark registration.
Andorra Trade Mark Registration Distinctive Benefits
- Andorra Trademark registration gives the proprietor the right to exclusive use of the mark in respect of the goods or services covered by it.
- A registered trademark can be hypothecated as security, meaning that a registered trademark can be pledged as security to secure loan facilities much the same way as immovable property can be bonded.
- A trademark licence can be recorded on the trademark register, giving the licensee rights to institute legal proceedings in the event of infringement.
- A registered trademark can be transferred. The same is not possible for a common law trademark, which can only be transferred with the business.